There are many variables involved in asphalt shingle roofs and any other roof for that matter. Before settling for a particular roof type, you should know exactly what to expect.
Here are the answers to the most common questions about shingle roofing.
What Is the Lifespan of Shingle Roofs?
Shingle roofs sure look good on your property with their classic timeless facade. But do they last long?
Expect anywhere from 15 to 25 years for your shingle roof. But why such a big range?
Because there are too many variables. The lifespan of your shingle roof depends on temperature, humidity, frequency of storms, roofing material and more. In fact, even the slope of the roof can have a major impact – a steeper slope means that there is less likelihood of water accumulation, ice dams, mold and fungus.
Do Architectural Shingles Live Longer Than 3-Tab Shingles?
Under similar conditions, you can expect architectural shingles to last around 10 years longer than 3-tab shingles.
What Are the Best Shingle Roof Brands?
Owens Corning is one of the best. Other reputable roof brands include GAF, Atlas, Malarkeyand Certainteed.
What Is the Biggest Factor Behind Shortened Roof Lifespan?
Hands down, poor attic ventilation is the biggest factor behind accelerated shingle roof breakdown.
Should You Remove the Old Shingles Before Installing New Roof Shingles?
Without a doubt, yes, the old layer should be removed. The old layer can adversely affect the new layer and shorten its lifespan. The old layer together with the new layer could also structurally weaken your roof with excessive weight.
Not removing the old shingles could void the warranty of the new roof.
So you should opt for a thorough roofing job (by removing the older layer) instead of a rushed roof job that will cost you later.
So What Can I Do to Extend the Lifespan of the Shingle Roof?
Here is how to extend the lifespan of your shingle roof.
- Get regular inspections according to the timetable recommended by a good roofing contractor.
- Get the roof inspected each time there is a major storm.
- Adequate attic ventilation is paramount. Without good attic ventilation, there will be a strong buildup of searing heat and humidity which will quickly degrade the integrity of your shingle roof.
- Regular roof cleaning is essential. This will prevent the accumulation of dust, debris, dirt, mold, fungus, mildew and other factors that can damage the shingles.
- Steeper is better. Water slides off faster from steeper roofs thus keeping the shingles dry and in good condition.
- Replace damaged/missing shingles at once. Don’t wait. If you don’t repair in time, the damage could spread. Other previously intact shingles will go bad if you don’t act fast.
And here is the biggest factor behind a healthy long-lived shingle roof. An awesome roofer.
You want a roofer who will use the steepest angle, premium grade material, stellar design and workmanship par excellence together with extraordinary work ethics to craft the best roof.
Your roof can only be as good as the roofer who built it. So get in touch with roofer extraordinaire from the get go.
Whether it is roofing maintenance, installation, repair, renovation, inspection, cleaning or any other roof -related task, we can do it all.